The Girona branch of the Museum of Archaeology of Catalonia houses the finds from the archaeological excavations at different sites around the Girona area. They were originally exhibited in the region’s earliest museum, the Provincial Museum of Antiquities and Fine Arts, which was established in 1845 by the Provincial Monuments Commission. Since 1857, the collection has been installed in the monastery of Sant Pere de Galligants.
On the occasion of the 175th anniversary of its founding, the exhibition presents some of the most important objects in the museum’s collections. Of great aesthetic quality, the pieces on display are not only exciting archaeological treasures, but are also exceptional for the historical condition they conceal. As material culture from the past, they tell us stories and bear witness to the historical memory of life and death. They take us on a journey based on the biological and psychological constants of human nature. Each and every one of these treasures conceals and provides a history and a background, with anecdotes, traditions, particularities and peculiarities. They are lighthouses of memory, the moulding clay of identities, fragments of humanity. They bring us closer to the past and show us how important museums are for life to continue.